Saturday, October 15, 2011

Sunday at the Marche aux Fleurs

It is Sunday and on this particular Sunday Woody was a little "under the weather" so I went out on my own.  I knew exactly how I would start my walk; to the Ile de la Cite and the Marche aux Fleurs.  The Marche is a permanent flower market very near to the Notre Dame and on Sundays it becomes an exotic bird market.

 You'll find everything needed for your oiseux~
cages, bird seed, toys, bird houses.

 I can not tell you what kind of birds these are.  Finches, wrens, canaries....

 some sort of parrot or parakeet?
 canary?
They look a little more exotic than the parakeet I had.

We've been here before when there more larger parrots, macaws, cockatoos, etc. but today there were mostly the smaller varieties.

 The little green/yellow one in the corner reminds me of our pet parakeet "Cookie".
Aren't these guys beautiful?

While I was walking around, a man asked the 'canary guy' about a particular yellow bird.  He wanted to know the sex.  So the guy reaches in the cage, grabs the little guy/gal, turns it over and checks it out and whichever it was~it was the right one.  Then the vendor, while holding onto the bird, puts together his little carrying box.  Then in it goes and the transaction is complete.




Before I left, I checked out some of the shops at the market.  Some sell flowers, decorative garden items, floral gifts (I especially liked the lavendar shop) and Paris souvenirs.

 Lots of orchids in Paris.
 This was a very nice shop.  The sign said "no photos"~I took this surreptitiously.  They had a beautiful display of Christmas ornaments too but the lady was watching me~closely.
 Visiting the bird market is a great way to start the day.  Sunday mornings are so peaceful for walking the city; no traffic, no noise and this is a such 'happy' place.

"je t'aime"~je t'aime aussi"

(my favorite photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment