Monday, November 14, 2011

~Wall & Sidewalk Art~

Street art (graffiti) is everywhere.  The city is making an effort to clean up the 'art' that is not appealing or that ruins a monument or statue.  We definitely did not find it as offensive this year as it's been in the past.  I prefer the wall art that is whimsical over the outright graffiti style.


A building near the Stravinsky Fountain and the Pompidou Center.

A door on a building adjacent to the Stravinsky Fountain.

A sign outside a gallery on rue St. Honore.  
You just have to laugh at the expression on the dog's face.


These little mosaic pieces are done by the artist Space Invaders.  It's fun trying to find them.





(Notice the little red "amoeba"~ you'll see more of these below.)


Most street artists have their own style and are very recognizable.


We found only 2 of these ANDY tags but in very different parts of the city.

We called these "cow art"...the first one doesn't really show cows but
the style is very much like the "cows'.





These were what we called the "sidewalk" art.
Manhole cover

Drainage grate

 This sidewalk mosaic is outside of the Hotel Regina on rue de Rivoli.  It is lit from below.

I found this one on Avenue Montaigne.  The Callot Sisters were haute couture designers.


I don't know what to call these ....they have that "amoeba look" to me.



This building with the colorful musical banners was actually covered with 'stuff'...again I couldn't figure out why this building was picked but it looked like it was planned to make a statement.


 Now this is UGLY graffiti~I have difficulty calling this art.
 This is the kind of stuff that they are trying to remove from walls of the quais & buildings.


When I was searching the internet for clues about street artists, I found this guy with the tiger theme. There are other Tigers but we didn't see them.

I lot of the wall art is stenciled.

Very interesting, in that it was way up on the wall.

I don't think this was done by a street artist...I think the business paid to have this done.


This is my favorite.  It pops out of the wall at eye level.  
It was right next to a small park behind the Institute of France.



Searching out unusual wall art provides another way to really see the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment