Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Walking, Shopping, Just Looking Day~

Today is "shop for souvenirs" day.  So we are off to the rue de Rivoli~3 blocks away.  Rue de rivoli is known for its souvenir shops.  We came to one that definitely stood out from the rest~it was spacious and not claustrophobic and it was organized and you could actually walk around and browse.

I picked out a few things, then Woody called me over to the T-shirt side of the shop.  I was immediately approached by a young salesguy.  We started communicating in half English, half French.  He was so very helpful and soon we were chatting~but he made me say whatever I was going to say in French.  How frustrating.    We bought kids T-shirts and then he steered me to the women's shirts.  I didn't really need another one but the selection was different from what we'd be seeing.  I found one I liked and asked for a large.  He said, non Madame and handed me an XXL.  I must have had that shocked how dare you insult me look on my face.  He just made the "curvy body" sign with his hands.  He was right. (they ran small)
Soon he was asking me where & when I learned French.  It was great being able to struggle with my French and have someone egg me on and be so patient.  It was great fun!
That's Paul.
We walked a little further down the rue de Rivoli and soon came to the Musee des Arts & Decortifs.  This museum is located at the far west end of the Louvre.  Our destination was the Musee de Mode et du Textile (Woody was not thrilled).   What I was expecting to see was a collection of costumes dating from the 17th century to the present.  What we found were; designer collections from 1970-80 and the Bijoux (jewelry) gallery.
This image does not suggest what I was thinking when I saw
this dress.  What size is that???  0000?
I can't imagine a model skinny & shapely enough to wear this dress.
It was stunning!
Karl Lagerfeld
As I took this photo, a man approached me,  "No photos, madame".  The Photo Police.
So now I'm not seeing what I expected and I can't take pictures.  There were alot of design students there; standing in front of the exhibits and taking notes.

We were at the back of the gallery and I noticed this grouping of black leather "biker" designs.  I HAD to have a picture...so I surreptiously got my camera out and took the shot.  I did not get caught...but then the picture didn't turn out that good either.

We just breezed through all the designer stuff, then came to the Bijoux Galleries.  The rooms were dark with the displays lit.  I haven't really mastered this kind of shot on my camera yet.  Most of what I took did not come out focused....drat!


These two brooches were Lalique.

I don't remember much except that I liked the detail carving of this bracelet.


Woody wanted a picture of this....I must have tried it 10 different ways.
This is the best of the 10.  A beautiful pin.


Pretty stunning.

This looked pretty incredible on the mannequin.


This was just a part of one of the galleries.  There was so much to see.
And I did take a lot of pictures...really.
 We were tired and disappointed.   Next we were going to find Laduree and buy some macarons.  Laduree is supposed to be THE place to buy macarons.  They say that it is definitely worth the wait in line.

When we arrived at the shop, there was a line.  So I got in line not really knowing what it was that I was going to get.  Fortunately, waiting affords you the time to figure out the selecting/purchasing system.  When my turn came, I asked for 12 macarons; 6 chocolat, 3 framboise (raspberry) and 3 citron(lemon).  He repeated it back....he understood.  I was given my "pick up" slip.  Then you move forward, pay and they hand you your little bag.  I didn't get the fancy Laduree bag!  I got the generic Laduree bag. BUT, they were in a nice little Laduree box.

  It wasn't until we got back to the apt. and decided to try the wonderful macarons that we discovered

that we didn't get even close to what I ordered.
  I wonder if the person who got my macarons was as "upset" as I was.

And IMHO, Laduree macarons (the chocolate ones) are not as good as the ONE I had bought at Stohrers on rue Montorgueil.  We couldn't really decide what flavor the purple ones were; maybe something like black raspberry or currant.

Now we're just plain tired!  Time to head towards the apt. via rue de la Paix, one of the world's most fashionable (and expensive) shopping streets.

Haviland china


Cartier sapphires...September birthstone.



All of these places had doormen and security guards.
Further along we passed the Galeries Vivienne, probably the largest and most elegant of the Passages.




Moving onward, we stopped at the boulangerie around the corner from the apt. and bought tuna sandwiches and pastries for breakfast.  Then came home and ate.......... and collapsed.

No comments:

Post a Comment