Thursday, October 7, 2010

Le Cimetiere de Montmartre~

I wanted to see the Montmartre cemetery because Degas, Offenbach, Stendahl and Berlioz are buried there.  We took the Metro to the Abbesses stop~ it is one of the last two Hector Guimard Art Nouveau entrances.
Art Nouveau entrance

Fortunately the walk to the cemetery on rue Abbesses is downhill.  And not far.  On the way we saw:
One of the steep stairways found in Montmartre

Moulin de la Galette~one of 2 windmills left on Montmartre.




The entry to the cemetery.

A rather unusual tomb.

The details of the door  and interior of the above tomb.
This blue one stood out among the others.

Still searching for Degas.

We think we are getting close...


 The sign pointed DOWN for the area where the gravesites that I wanted to see were located.  No way! I was not going to climb these steps.
There were a lot of cats running around.  This one was quite pregnant or very fat!

I found Alexander Dumas ~by accident.



I love strolling the cemeteries in Paris.  The monuments are so unique and beautiful.



Hector Berlioz~well that's one on my list.
We found our way out~the same way we came in.  Unfortunately because this cemetery sits on the side of a hill, we were only able to see the upper level.  I never did locate a map so we don't know if there's another way in...that will be a project for another time.  And there are still other cemeteries in Paris to visit.  We kept walking down to the next Metro stop. 

Back to the apt. for our afternoon respite.

We are going to Neuilly tonight to have dinner with Dick and Judy.  Neuilly is on the #1 Metro line, so it was so convenient to get to Dick and Judy's.  It is such a quiet neighborhood.  We waited in front of their apt...and soon Dick and Daisy came walking up the street.  When Judy returned from work, we all went around the corner to a little Moroccan restaurant~
Mogador.   This was my "birthday dinner".

Mogador has about 8-10 tables.

Our table.

We all had the Tajine Poulet with raisins, onions and almonds.
I had a Kir (white wine and cassis) and it was one of the best I've had.

There were a lot of stories told about Woody's and Dick's time in Morocco when they were kids.  Judy and Dick had returned there so I was the only one who didn't have a story to tell....I'm a good listener.

After dinner, we took the Metro home. 
We were pooped but it was a great day!


1 comment:

  1. So far this has just been a wonderful 2nd person visual tour of Paris for me! I have loved the sights and tasted (almost) what you tasted. I can't for the life of me, though, figure out why you didn't tell a good Hatboro, PA story?! Wasn't it just THE place on the planet in the early 60's???

    carol :D

    ReplyDelete